Thursday, July 2, 2009

Procrastination/ Staycation

It's been a strange week. I spent one entire day drunk, one hungover, and two dealing with a wretched kink in my neck. I've got two big deadlines hanging over my head, and if there's one thing I know how to do, its procrastinate. My apartment needs a wicked unleashing of about a hundred thousand cans of Comet, and I've been stuck in the house with cat whose neck I'd like to wring. (Our cat Baci is one of the cutest living animals, but we call him Adventure Cat. He was a stray before we adopted him, and it's pretty clear he'd really rather be an outdoor cat. He paces the house like a caged animal, whining, looking for trouble around every corner. I actually feel kind of guilty about it, rather than the sense of well-being you're supposed to get from your pets. I'm planning on adopting another kitten next week. I'm going to look for the wildest-eyed one they have, and I'm hoping she'll open a big old can of whoopass on Baci.) 

Yeah, a post about my cat. So, I've been stuck in a bit of a rut. Not a big one, but a shallow, meddling one that I need to acknowledge. With any luck, I'm going to take four whole days to myself next week to do whatever I like. Yes, a Staycation (stupid fucking word.) I had considered trying to skip town, but it was starting to feel like another thing for the to-do list, and that ain't a vacation at all. 

In addition to getting the new kitty kat, I have a few plans: 

1. Turn off the computer. I plan on sticking to this. One of the major things I adore about being away is ridding myself of the electronic tit. I never seem to miss it, and I find it astonishing how big a part of my life it is when I get back. I think I need to reconcile these two facts. 

2. Avoid restaurants. I'm yearning for the days when eating out marked a special occasion or at least a giddy splurge on an expensive steak. I'm feeling jaded about all this damn food, which means I need a break and probably a system flush. (I know, poor me.)

3. Tackle Project Memory Lane. This might be an emotional look back, but hopefully I'll find some gems which I'll scan and post here (after I attach myself back on the tit) for your perusal. It will be a nice sense of a accomplishment to get all those damn boxes out of our house too. 

4. See some live music every night. Music has been the one salve these days that hits me in all the right spots every time. I haven't been kind enough to myself when it comes to this great love of mine, and I need to indulge it far more often. 

5. Get outside and bike, bike, bike. I wanna get saddle sore, yes I do. 

That's it. Maybe something else will come along. If not, it's a vacation after all. And yes, I'm writing this out of sheer procrastination, so that's all for today. Sheesh. 

Totally unrelated sidenote: My sister and I hit the MOA yesterday. I hate the mall, but it was a cloudy day and I needed me some baby fix. My sister decided she needed a beer. It's slim pickins for watering holes at the mall these days, so we decided on. . . . wait for it. . . Hooters. Where my sister proceeded to lift her shirt and feed the baby, right at the bar. Hooters at Hooters. The businessman type seated next to us got a big hoot out of it. The end. 

2 comments:

  1. We're staying home this weekend too- I also plan on mucho biking, cooking, and tackling projects that have been hovering over my head for a while.

    Of course I am sitting here at the electronic tit as I say that, so we'll see how my plan goes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're struggling with procrastination, then by all means avoid 'procrasturbation.'

    ReplyDelete