Tuesday, June 30, 2009

YAY! CSA!

It's that time of year again in the Bos/ Wms household: farm share season. Yesterday was our first pickup. I've been pretty gushy about this CSA thing, something I can only describe as life changing. I could say tons about it, but simply put, there's nothing like eating what's in season, in its time, grown the way nature intended by a guy you can talk to in person. It's a feeling of knowing you're putting exactly the thing in your body that you are supposed to be at that moment in time, and the taste is the sugar on top. The box:


Greens (kale, spinach, chard) are heavily in season right now. This is a smoked greens recipe I found, calling for smoked sea salt. I didn't have any so I put in some liquid smoke (sue me). It was fantastic, slow braised in chicken stock, vinegar, green onions and shallot. I finished it with fresh Parm. Most people think of tomato when they think MN summer bounty, but I think of radish. Not because I love them-- I don't-- but because they were always prominently featured on my grandparent's table. They sprinkled them with salt and ate them from hand, put them in sandwiches and salads. They were everywhere. I still haven't learned to love them, but I think I might. My grandparents had impeccable taste. I trust their judgement.

My indoor grill rulez. I'm still getting accustomed to her, and I damn near overcooked the steaks, but it all worked out in the end. The beef is marinated in one of the few good recipes I pilfered from the coop. Since I stole it, I got no problem passing it on to you.

3 cups roasted garlic (you would be smart to get a jar of pre-peeled stuff, cover it in EVOO and roast until toasty)
1 cup of the oil from the roasted garlic
1/4 cup chipotle in adobo
2 T cumin (toast and grind yo'self)
1/2 cup lime juice
2 T brown sugar
2 T salt
2 t. black pepper
Puree all of this and use as a marinade, sauce, or toss with veggies and roast 'em.

The meat:

Now you've seen our box and our meat. That's all for today, dirty birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment